Full ERROR Message Example
ERROR [main] 2020-08-19 21:09:11,987 CommitLogReplayer.java:389 - Ignoring commit log replay error likely due to incomplete flush to disk
org.apache.cassandra.db.commitlog.CommitLogReadHandler$CommitLogReadException: Could not read commit log descriptor in file /var/lib/cassandra/commitlog/CommitLog-6-1542505044076.log at org.apache.cassandra.db.commitlog.CommitLog.recoverSegmentsOnDisk(CommitLog.java:195)
What does this error mean?
The error means that the commit log file CommitLog-6-1542505044076.log is corrupt and needs to be removed.
Why does this error occur?
The most common possible causes for this issue are:
- There might be a hardware failure such as bad sectors on the commitlog disk
- The server crashed while the filesystem was in the middle of syncing the file to disk
- The commit log disk is full and not have enough space for new files.
How do you fix this error?
To fix the issue, please follow below steps:
- Figure out what caused the issue in the first place and fix that. For example, if the disk was full, go ahead and add more volume.
- After the fix is done, move the corrupt file out of the commit log directory and start Cassandra process.
- After the Cassandra process and is up, run the Repair process to repair the missing mutations which did not get replayed because of the corrupted commitlog file issue.